Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

My Grand Idea and How it Was Thwarted

So, probably six months ago, I picked up a cheese dome from the thrift store for something like $3.  You know, one of these things.  I really liked it, but wasn't 100% sure how I'd end up using it.  So I cleaned it up (by the way, baby oil is really good for getting tape residue off pretty much anything) and it sat.  And sat.  And sat.

Until one morning, on the way to work, I decided it would look really good as a cloche.  Yeah!  I'd get a candlestick and Liquid Nail it to the bottom, and then I'd spray paint it black and then I could put cute things in it like birds in nests, and fruit and seasonal stuff.  Oh boy, I was so excited and proud of myself for coming up with such a cool idea.

So I got online to see if anyone else had such a great idea as me, and I found out I was a little late to the Cheese Cloche Party.  Like a year late.  As in almost everyone had a post out there about how they had the EXACT same idea as me.  Just Google Cheese Cloche and you will see what I mean.  Sigh.

Well, I was still in love with the idea, so I stopped by the thrift store over lunch and picked a couple candle sticks up for a dollar each.


I liked how it looked, but on another trip over the weekend to Goodwill, I found this one for a dollar and loved it even more.


I popped the metal part off with a screwdriver and a hammer pretty easily, cleaned it all up, and then turned my attention to the cheese plate.  It had little rubber feet that needed to come off.


Using Liquid Nails and a heavy book, I glued the two together and then let the book do most of the work.




I had a bit of oozing, but I knew the paint would cover that up.  Once I had that one done, I realized I had two candlesticks that were not being used, so I set out to find something at least one could elevate.  I found this oddball bowl that's been sitting around for well over a year.


So in the same fashion, I flipped 'er over and glued the candlestick to the bottom.  Once they were stuck together all good and strong, I took them outside for a good coat of black spraypaint (don't worry, I wore a mask).  I then gave them a coat of spray topcoat, since I knew there could be things put in these contraptions that could scrape the paint.  

Once all dry, I brought them in and made quite the little fall arrangement on our dining room table.


I'm really happy how it all turned out.  I'll give you a tour...

Here's the guy that started it all, complete with a ceramic pumpkin (from the Dollar Store) and the leftover ribbon from the wreath project.  The little pumpkin in front is also from the Dollar Store).



Then we move over to the bowl.  He also turned out very nice, and is displaying some wooden fruit I picked up at an antique mall for a dollar.  Yes, a dollar, for all of it.




Then we have an apothecary jar full of pinecones and the leftover pinecones on a candle plate I've had for years.  I have a small addiction to apothecary jars.  I own six...so far.


And quite possibly my favorite little detail is this hand carved wood owl I bought my Dad in Mexico when we were there on our honeymoon.  He came back to live with me when Dad passed.


I put a napkin down as a backdrop for the table and there are couple candles you can see in the background.  Those are leftover from our wedding, but you can get them at Hobby Lobby.  Lastly, there is a tiny galvanized pot, just for a little glitz.  You can probably see him in the background of the pictures above. 

So that's my fall vignette!  I plan on swapping out a few things and keeping the same type of thing going for each of the seasons.  Can't wait for pretty Christmas balls and my deer to make an appearance!  Is anyone else decorating for fall, or looking forward to Christmas decorating?  Am I the only one with an addiction to apothecary jars?  It's unhealthy, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment