Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

A-Round We Go

So, do you remember when I gave you a sneak peak of these guys?



Three round, metal mirrors.  In three different colors of metal--Gold, Silver, and Bronze.  These colors might look good next to an Olympians' medal case, but not in my house.  But, I could see they had potential in a different color.  I debated and debated on whether or not to get them.  I was trying to visualize where I would put them, but couldn't settle on a place.  So I left.  In fact, I left the store twice without them!  I should add here that the merchandise in this thrift store goes fast...they have good stuff.  So, imagine my surprise when I went back a third time and they were still there.  I declared it meant to be, and in my cart they went.  

When I got home, I gave them a quick coat of primer (just to make sure the new paint would stick) and then gave them a few thin coats of this stuff:




This is my favorite spray paint lately.  It gives a really cool bronze luster when the light hits it right.  This shade has been my anchor color in the living room.  Not sure if 'anchor color' is really a design phrase, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

So anyway, after I painted them, it took me about three weeks to figure out where they would go.  But last weekend, we made a couple new shelves for our living room to go in Gramma's Corner.  I knew once we got those shelves up that I needed to think outside the box and just set them on the shelf.  So, without further adieu, here they be:








Now that these pictures are on here, I can see the reflection of all the other unfinished projects in the rest of the room...as in no crown moulding, and empty picture frames on the other shelves across the room.  Here's my excuse...the motivation has yet to come upon me to finish those other projects.  You understand, right?  Right.  Ok, now on to the tour of the other items on the shelves...


 


I'm a sucker for apothecary/candy jars, so when I found this one for $3, I had to have it.  And here she sits, with some potpourri to show off her curves.




I love this article so much I framed it!  It's titled 5 Things I Have Learned from my Pets.  It was in one of my issues of Real Simple.  I love that magazine.  I keep every back issue.  I'm ok with it, and Andy has learned to be ok with it.  Ok back to the article...if you are interested in reading what it has to say, you can click here.  We particularly like the phrase, "You should have a cupcake for that!" 




This little guy I picked up in Goodwill for a couple bucks.  No story behind him, he's just cute and plays into my obsession with animals.  Moving on...




I dearly love this mommy giraffe and baby giraffe brass set.  At one point, I was going to strip the lacquer off and tarnish the bronze (you can kind of see where that backfired when I tried a homemade method of doing so) but now that they are up there, I'm kind of liking the brass color.  Thoughts?




Speaking of thoughts...this also came from Real Simple.  They have several of these in each issue, and I've made a habit of tearing them out and stockpiling them for uses such as this.  It's a girl on a bike riding through a city park and it says: 

"Having money is rather like being a blond.  It is more fun but not vital. --Mary Quant
So now, here's what the corner looks like from a couple angles...






I'm liking it!  It's a fun corner and it plays off all the other colors in the room.  The shelves are from plans from Ana White and can be found here.  No joke, they really are $10 ledges, and a snap to put together.  We've now put together two sets and have plans for at least one more set for the kitchen (that's a sneak peak, by the way!)  Once they are together, I paint them white and give them a found-style finish by distressing them and then using stain to age them.

I'd like to leave you with a wish for a Happy 4th of July!  Let's not ever forget the sacrifices made for the freedom we celebrate.  God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment